START HERE

START HERE!
If you came to my blog looking for a specific topic or area of my work, you may want to start by checking the page links above or by checking my topic list below and to the right.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

2016 Fake Therapy Week Day 2: When Support Groups Go Bad!



Welcome to day 2 of Fake Therapy Week! Today we are visiting the toy support group led by . . . the mermaid?

I once went with a friend to her any and all issue support group (She was nervous to go, and I was the emotional support). I was shocked! The group leader had no qualifications, and the session turned into one big complain against religion meeting.

I was sick inside. What kind of support group was that? 

There are all kinds of support groups. Everything from support groups for people who have lost a spouse, to support groups for people who are adopting, etc. etc. etc.

It isn't therapy. It's a support group. It may be therapeutic, but it isn't therapy. In my opinion. 

The point should be to uplift, support, and maybe give ideas.

My personal view is that you shouldn't stay in a toxic support group. If I were to find a support group for gardeners who hate weeds and I got there and the whole session turned into people always blaming their problems on garden gnomes, I would leave. Why would I waste my time with that?! And then I'd go find a gardeners support group that focused on finding ways to weed your garden happily.

I'm just saying.



No comments:

Post a Comment