START HERE

START HERE!
If you came to my blog looking for a specific topic or area of my work, you may want to start by checking the page links above or by checking my topic list below and to the right.

Friday, September 16, 2016

The Help




I just finished reading The Help. by Kathryn Stockett. I think it was one of my all time favorite books. Though I wish I had read it before watching the movie, because I couldn't get the movie out of my head. And, I'll admit, I LOVE the movie.


Aibileen, one of the main characters, finds that she has a talent for helping the children she raises to feel good about themselves. If you've seen the movie, you'll remember her saying:


"You is smart,
You is kind,
You is important."


In the book, she recognises that the more someone hears negative information the more they will believe it. She many times hopes that it isn't too late to teach the little girl she is raising about self-worth and respecting everyone.


I think it is never too late to realize your self worth. Or re-realize your self worth. There will always be the "Miss Hillys" who think they know all. I'm sure you personally know at least one "Miss Hilly" who tries his or her best to assign you the value that they made up.


There will always be people that treat you like that.


But, to quote Kathryn Stockett:


“Ever morning, until you dead in the ground, you gone have to make this decision. You gone have to ask yourself, "Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?”
Kathryn Stockett, The Help


And then you just have to live by the mantra, "I am smart, I am kind, I am important."


Wonderful, wonderful book.


If you've never read it, go check it out on Amazon:












No comments:

Post a Comment